Wednesday 17 August 2016

Year 7/8s skype with William Pike!

This morning we had a great skype with William Pike! This year the Year 7/8s are taking part in the William Pike Challenge
To complete this challenge we have to:
  • Complete 20 hours of community service
  • Take up a new sport or hobby
  • Take part in 6-8 outdoor challenges
We mainly spoke about community service. It was quite useful.

"It's given the class more ideas about what to do for our community service, for example fundraising for a charity. This week Prudence and Hannah made cupcakes and sold them at school. They raised $138.90 for the SPCA," exclaimed Gus, (Year 8).

"This morning's skype has motivated me to email the teachers and see who would like Jorja and I to come in for 20 minutes a week and do an NZSL (New Zealand Sign Language) club," said Katie, (Year 8).

"I enjoyed talking to him as we haven't seen him in a while. It gave me an idea for my community service: I am thinking of playing my guitar at the Riccarton markets and fundraising for a charity, maybe a kids cancer charity?" spoke Jesse, (Year 8).

"I need to pick up rubbish on the side of my road because my Mum says it's disgusting. It's because all the truckies drop their rubbish out the window. Also, I want to clean up the beach at Purau which is where my family has a crib," said Bella P, (Year 7). 



2 comments:

  1. Wow you guys did such a great job, this reminds me of the St-John youth group when we worked for the community awareness badge. Have you considered adding bonus points to the challenge for doing extra work?

    Kind regards Jacob D Templeton School Room 9

    ReplyDelete

  2. hi i am iutasi my school is park estate wow you should pick up rubbish because that show's AROHA and MANKITANGA good work.

    by:iutasi


    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about