Tuesday 3 December 2019

Wellington Camp #2 - It's blowing a gale

We had heard that Wellington was windy but who knew it was this windy?!? I think even the Wellingtonians have found it windy. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Waking up was a mixed bag this morning. Some had slept great and some hadn't ... leading to some others not sleeping so well. Ah well, no need to sit around feeling sorry for ourselves, it was up and into the day.

First, we headed to Fergs for Inline Skating, but (and this was to become the norm for the day) due to the weather we were going to be bouldering instead. Bouldering is when you climb walls with little things sticking out of them but no harness on or ropes. You just use your hands and feet. It is surprisingly hard, which many of our students will tell you if you ask them about it. You also have to 'spot' a partner, not to catch them, but to help them.


After bouldering, we headed up the road to the National Library for the He Tohu exhibition. The wind was picking up by now and so we almost got blown there. A few big gusts caused us to give a yell or two. Thankfully we all remained on our feet.

He Tohu is an incredible exhibition that allows students to experience the actual Declaration of Independence (yes, we have one!), the Treaty of Waitangi (all 9 pieces) and the petition that got women the vote. These are incredibly powerful documents to view and I think everyone mentioned them in their diaries.




The rain had now hit Wellington and so we ate lunch at the national library as we watched the sheets of rain roll past the window. It was then a quick dash across the road to Parliament. We were all super excited about this, especially a teacher who was hoping to see one of her heroes.


After a chat with Mr Robertson were we had to try and name something that Government doesn't control (Mika won!) it was through security and into the Education area. We can't show you any photos as we aren't allowed to carry phones but it was a total highlight of the day. Ben, our educationalist, was outstanding. He helped the students understand how parliament works, but our students also demonstrated what thoughtful and intelligent thinkers they are. Julia was 'prime minister' for a media briefing and the rest of us were the press. Liam asked some very hairy questions which Julia answered really well. In fact, Ben told us that he had Year 12 students earlier that day that were less switched on, so kudos to YMS!

We also were taken to the debating chamber and experienced a question and answer time. It was pretty eye-opening for everyone, even Mr Roberston. Mrs Spragg had to calm down a bit after getting a wave from Jacinda Ardern (and a little one from Chloe Swarbrick). Breathe Mrs Spragg, breathe!

Sadly Amy Adams, our MP, was stuck in Christchurch because of the weather and so we didn't get to see her. 

Gosh, you must be thinking, that is the day done. But no, we still had an afternoon and evening to go. But that will do for now. Make sure you check-in for the next instalment. 

26 comments:

  1. Hi Rimu Class once again,

    I didn't go bouldering when I went to wellington and it was sunny when I went.

    I went to Te Papa when I went to wellington and I saw a big model of the treaty.

    When are you going to Te Papa? Have more fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi 7/8,s Having a FUn time, It is Olivia From Yaldhurst Model School. Are you having a fun time over there becuase it looks fun. I would love to be over there.What has been your favourite thing so far?..
    Bye See you back next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kia,ora
    my name is connor
    I love the pert where you have the all the wind and the girls are running.
    why did you guys go on camp
    from connor
    bye rimu πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia Ora Rimu year 7&8's! I am Sam from Yaldhurst Model School,

    And that looks so fun!

    I really like how you blogged about your experience in Wellington, and how youdecided to add some photos.

    I've never been to Wellington, but I think that it looks like a whole lot of fun! Especially with your friends!

    Next time it would be amazing if you could put all of your photos onto one document so that it doesn't create a toiletpaper roll. Maybe you could do what you did with the first photo of you guys climbing? Maybe you could put two documents if there isn't enough space? Whatever way you want.

    Apart from that, I think that this is an amazing blog post! Keep up the amazing work!

    Who was the best climber?

    Happy Blogging!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia Ora year 7 and 8's! Its me Parwin!

    It looks like you guys are having loads and loads of fun. Back at school here, we are also having lots of fun learning about careers too! The pictures of the museums and eveything looks pretty interesting and you guys all look like you are enjoying it.

    This reminds me of 2 things! One of them was when I went to Wellington with my family. We went to the same museum and let me tell you, it was awesome. I really enjoyed going around. It also reminds me of when we went to camp to Livign Springs and we also did Rock Climbing.

    I think it would be cool if you included the photo's on one document or drawing like Sam said but apart from that, you did a great job!

    What part of the trip did you enjoy the most and why?

    What part of the trip did you not enjoy and why?

    Amazing!



    Awesome work,
    Parwin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Year 7,8 I am Jacob I really enjoyed your blog post. About wellington Camp I hope you well enjoy your week at wellington I hope you well have a good week. I like how you add some Pictures in the Blog post. It looks really fun to do over there I hope everyone had a good week there. See you next week bye.


    From Jacob:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Year 7-8s! I am Zack from Your School!


    I really like this blog post because of the way that you guys are sharing all of your photos in one big doc and then you have some loose one's aswell! I really like this because it makes you not have to scrol down for ages and it takes a long time to load! Also I really like this blog post because there is lots of words but there is not to many words!


    Next time I think that you can improve on making some of the photos bigger so they are easier to see and they are clear they are not so small and hard to see! I think that would make a huge impact on your blog posts Lastly I thin that you can improve on putting all of the words in one place instead of spreading them all out!


    Also I am missing you guys so much are you missing me?
    Keep up the Great blogging!

    Bye Zack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rimu! Its Ethan Here.

    You look like you are having lots of fun without me.

    Hope you guys are having heaps of fun.

    Bye for now Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey year 7&8 of Rimu!
    It's me Chloe.
    This looks like you guys are having so much fun away. That wind doesn't look good, it might actually blow you guys away. If I were rock climbing I would probably fall backwards and hit the ground. Your days look very busy, you all must be exhausted.

    I like how you put the rock climbing pictures altogether. What's you guys favorite activity so far? Just telling I now know most of the noise comes from the year 5&6 πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ It seems very windy and rainy over there, I don't think I would ever live there.

    Have fun!!
    Kind regards
    - Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  10. HELLO RIMU YEAR & AND 8'S.
    IT IS ME LUCY FROM RIMU
    we are writing comments right now.
    Who was the best at climbing?
    Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi guys. Remember me? Mikael, From your school. I really like this blog post. you guys are doing tons of stuff. It looks really fun. I especially like the rock climbing. do you were a hanes when you are doing it because it doesn't look like you are. It is so Windy up there. It looks kinda fun to lean agent it. Any way. We are all missing you guys... No, sorry. I lie. πŸ˜† But I Bet your missingg me. Am I right? any way good blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hye teachers and year 7 & 8s.
    How are you??
    This is amazing blog post.
    Have a great week hope you are having a great day.

    I love the blog post.

    MISS YOU!!

    BYE!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kia ora year 7&8 Wellington campers.
    Its Thommy.
    You guys look like you're having a whole bunch of fun in Wellington, Except for the fact that the weather doesn't look that good, It must be cold. It still looks like you had fun rock climbing and things.

    How are you guys enjoying it so far? What has been your favourite activity or thing you have done?.

    Next time maybe tell us which activities you are enjoying the most!
    Great job.
    -Thom.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kia Ora Rimu year 7&8's,
    Its me Alan

    Looks like you guys are having fun.

    Was it really windy ? If it is really windy if you lean to the direction the wind blows will you fall down or will you be still like that?

    In here we are doing Career. It is pretty fun. In career we should choose one job and write about it.
    Kind regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  17. cWow this is so cool.
    I wish I was there
    have you guys been to cooler places but that is cool.
    I MISS YOU
    I bet you guys are having so much fun

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! this is so cool
    I wish I was there I guess you guys are having the greatest time ever.
    what have you been up to? the wind looks very strong do you like camp.

    kind regards
    Delilah

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kia ora year 7 & 8's,
    It's Rhys from your class, or have you forgot who I am?.
    That looks sooo cool, I wish I was there.
    I love all the cool photos. That looks like your having super good fun, hope you're having a good time.
    Mrs Washburn sends her regards.

    Kind regards,
    Your classmate,
    Rhys

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Year 7 & 8
    How are they because you did not put it on the blog.
    We all miss you.
    Can not wait until you come back I what to go.
    Kind regards
    Michaela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Kia Ora Rimu! It's me, Hana!

      I love the way you added so many pictures so that we could see what you were doing! We are having a lot of fun back here too researching careers!

      I see that the things in that room where it is dark is important, because the room is light controlled and temperature controlled.

      To improve, you could try to put the information in a DLO (Digital Learning Object)

      Also, MIKA THAT ISN'T A RAIN JACKETTT!!!!!! MUM TOLD YOU AND YOU HAVE A WATERPROOF BAG COVERRR!!!!

      From your BEST student, Hana!

      Delete
  21. Hi Year 7 and *
    I miss Yous.
    How are you up there?
    Have a great week.
    Blogs Amazing bye
    REnae

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi is it fun up there and how windy is it I bet it is really windy because of the video you can hear the wind have a lot of fun there from lucas bye????

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Guys
    Wow, It must of been really cool (and windy)
    Are you planning to go to Te Papa? Because it was very cool when I went. I definitely recommend going to the WW2 exhibit.
    But when I went it was definitely rainy and windy. Enough about me. What was it like in Wellington.
    Well have a good time.
    Kind regards
    Kade

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kia Ora I'm Jorja from Yaldhurst Model School.

    I liked the way you added a video.

    Did you think about adding the photos into a slide.

    Next time, you could add the photos into a slide.

    (: Kind Regards Jorja :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about